New Template / Canvas - The Experiment Canvas
In a change of pace from my retro templates, I was inspired this week to create a new template for those looking to run experiments. Experimentation after all is one of the keys to continuous improvement.
My inspirations for this template came from a range of sources - My own experiences, Adventures with Agile as well as some of the stellar work others have also done in this space (Bram Kanstein's Miroverse template)
Access the Miro template below, plug & play into your own instances and let me know how you get on!
For those without a Miro / Mural license, I've included the option to access the PDF which can be uploaded into many virtual whiteboarding tools, simply overlay the image with your own post-it's. No license? No problem.
Why use this template?
- Identified a systemic impediment spanning multiple teams that you need to try and resolve?
- Is the team your working with struggling with a blocker that regularly pops up at retrospectives?
- Are you trying to solve a real customer problem and want to formulate your plan?
- Many similar templates don't focus on those who will be impacted by the experiment. Identify these people and co-create it with them
Then try using the template! It may just help those involved visualise how to make meaningful change.
As always, use, share, adjust this template for your own personal context. You have my permission to change it, I'm not precious
Notable things to think about;
- The Scientists - Who is carrying out the experiment?
What are our roles & responsibilities?
- The Problem - What is the problem we need to solve?
Why do we need to experiment with something new?
- The Outcome - What are our desired outcomes?
What are we hoping to achieve through the experiment?
- The Hypothesis -What's our hypothesis?
IF, BY, WILL, BECAUSE
- The Results - How will we know our hypothesis is true?
How will we know our hypothesis is false?
- The People -Who will be affected by our experiment?
Who do we need to engage and involve?
- The Litmus Test - What's our litmus test?
What metrics, data or KPI's do we need to measure?
- The Trials - When will we measure results?
What are the next steps to bring this experiment to life?
Looking for an Agile community of practice?
The 'Virtually Agile' Slack community of practice is always welcoming of new members and is growing rapidly. This space intends to be community driven, neurodiverse place where people can share and learn from one another. You, your colleagues and anyone interested is welcome to get involved. Sign up here;
Don't stop believin folks