Help your teams identify areas for improvement
A work in progress for a new metric / approach we're building around measuring the days since a number of actions have been taken.
The intent of course being continuous improvement, spotting potential problems earlier and reducing risk.
The above visual captures some of my thinking so far. You may recognise 'Days since last customer interaction' in pride of place. This is something I'm a huge advocate for
This is very much work in progress and I'm keen on the thoughts of my community.
A few notes..
These metrics aren't:
- For comparison between teams or to be used as a performance measure at appraisals.
- I've tried to include metrics which are somewhat easily measured, i.e they don't rely on memory or an individuals perspective. They are likely tied to an event in the calendar, an artefact the team has, or a data point in a workflow tool.
- The red, amber, green will be contextual to your team / company / industry and those parameters should be customised accordingly.
- There are some leading indicators, some lagging.
How could you use these?
- Create a visual like the below and choose the metrics that apply for your team.
- Been a long time since we reviewed our charter? Let's get something in the diary!
- Haven't worked on tech debt for a while? We better get on that.
- Only spoke to a customer yesterday? Great, let's celebrate the fact we're being customer centric.
We've also created a list of 'DSL' metrics that a team could use:
Held a retrospective
Last completed a retro action
We spoke to a customer
We checked our team health
Reviewed our DOD/DOR
Reviewed our team charter or working agreements
Reviewed our teams data / metrics
Ran an experiment
Tidied the backlog
Demoed our product to stakeholders
Held a knowledge sharing session
12. Invited disagreement or healthy conflict
Cancelled one of our key ceremonies
Didn't adhere to our team agreement or charter
Were dependent on another team
Exceeded our agreed WIP limit
Failed to meet a sprint goal
Created a sprint goal
Synced with a team we have a dependency on
We worked on tech debt
Pick and choose the ones that apply for your team & context, then expose the results visually using a traffic light system to prompt conversation
Retro template on this to come, plus more examples for different scenarios, e.g. team of teams and psychological safety.
Looking for an Agile community of practice?
The 'Virtually Agile' Slack community of practice is always welcoming of new members and is growing rapidly. This space intends to be community driven, neurodiverse place where people can share and learn from one another.
You, your colleagues and anyone interested is welcome to get involved.
Sign up here;
Don't stop believin' folks